A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I was just trying to see what type of specialist I needed to

Customer Question

I was just trying to see what type of specialist I needed to see for a recurring abscess on my ankle. this condition has existed for about 2 years now and I get them every 2-3 months. Need to try and figure out why and how to avoid them
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: always end up in the e/r first, they wrap it. initial placed on antibiotics. Pain is so bad with the swelling of the leg, I generally have to stay out of work for weeks and the pain is very overwhelming. I need to find out what is causing this
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?
Customer: yes with discoloring. they advise always to stay off the leg for a couple of weeks with the leg elevated. would you know the proper specialist to see
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: history of blood clots, on cumodin for life
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 3 months ago.

You need to see a vascular specialist. The most common cause for recurrent abscess in the lower leg is peripheral vascular disease, which may be arterial, venous or both. Poorly functioning vessels allow the serous part of blood to seep out into the surrounding tissue, causing (in severe cases) the skin to seep fluid, and causing ulsers which can become infected.

Here are two articles about it. The first is very simplistic and the second goes into mote detail.

https:[email protected][email protected]/documents/downloadable/ucm_300323.pdf

Please let me know if you need additional information about this.

Best regards,