A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Can apendicoliths cause pain? I have feces trapped in

Customer Question

can apendicoliths cause pain? I have feces trapped in appendix and have form a stone. been having pain
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: well i have chronic ibs for a while now and i also have kidney stones in both kidneys so i hurt all the time
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: endometriosis and a history of polyps in colon also i have rectal hemmorhoids
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 3 months ago.

Yes, an appendicolith can cause intermittent abdominal pain in a minority of individuals, although they are asymptomatic in most patients (about 90%) and found incidentally in a CT scan done for some other reason. In patients who do present with abdominal pain and concurrent acute appendicitis, having an appendicolith can result in a more serious outcome if surgery is not done in a timely manner.

With your abdominal and pelvic diagnoses it would be difficult to determine what is the source of the pain.

Please let me know what additional questions you have about this.

Best regards,