A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Our family keeps going through this illness. Starts off with

Customer Question

Our family keeps going through this illness. Starts off with puke smelling burps and then about coupe hours later we are throwing up and diarrhea. Last had it on June 18 and we have it again. Any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 months ago.

It sounds like you are having viral gastroenteritis. It is contagious and when one person in the family gets it, frequently others do as well. It usually lasts from 24 hours to 3-4 days and people recover with no aftereffects. That you all had it a month ago really isn't unusual.

The other possibility is that you all ate something that was spoiled. Again, it usually passes in a couple of days. There are some bacteria that are "bad actors" and you will often hear about those on TV with massive food recalls and people being hospitalized. The majority of bacteria though cause short bouts of nausea and diarrhea with no serious problems.

Please let me know if you have additional questions about this.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have pain in my upper chest right below cleavage area. My gallbladder is out. The pain is making me buckle over.

Pain that intense needs to be evaluated at the ER. Pulmonary embolism, heart attack, and angina are the things that need to be ruled out immediately.

Please call 911 and/or have someone take you to the ER.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~