A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I repeatedly wake up at night and cannot open my left eye. I

Customer Question

i repeatedly wake up at night and cannot open my left eye. I have been diagnosed with TLE epilepsy, and 60 years old, have thyroid issues and am frankly pretty freaked out by what I am reading related to my own problem. what do you are what are you able to suggest? I think this problem has been going on for maybe a year.. eye wont open!! not because of eyeglue.. the muscles dont work. thankyou in advance, moth
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: I wear contact lenses so get my eyes checked pretty frequently. I didnt report this on my last eye check. my vision is fine. My question in about the fact that one of my eyes will not open, usually the left one.. and it is muscular.. as if it isnt getting the brainjuice.. but I am alarmed as this is now pretty frequent at night, and is impacting on my very overblown nighttime reality( one could call them dreams but they are interactive for me.. presumably due to TLE? I dont know, but thats how it is for me. I truly hope you will be able to help.. this isnt a simple case.. lots going on.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: well I think she knows everything re TLE, stress, thyroid etc.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry no one has wanted to tackle your question for so long. There is, of course, no way to diagnose this online. You need to see your neurologist. It may be an aberrant form of blepherospasm, and may or may not be at all related to your TLE. If it only happens at night you may need a sleep eeg to see what is going on.

Please let me know if you have additional questions about this.

Best regards,