Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Is there a fruit and vegetable supplement that you can

Customer Question

Is there a fruit and vegetable supplement that you can recommend? I am 53, healthy, not overweight, and while I don't eat to bad (no sweets), I do snack on salty snacks a lot, and hardly any vegetables.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Is there a specific deficiency or reason you need a supplement?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Like I said, I don't eat the foods that these supplements contain, and a person is supposed to eat 4 servings of veggies per day, and about the same for fruits. If you don't, you will get cancer and all kinds of awful diseases, according to internet. So in answer to your question, my deficiency is fruits and vegatables.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there?

Yes, I am writing you an answer. Please give me 5 minutes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I meant vegetables, not vagatables.

Thanks for your patience.

Following are reccommended;

Brussels Sprouts

Red Bell Peppers

Black beans

Sesame seeds

Grape fruit

Kiwi fruit

Please eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables, especially dark green leafy vegetables and orange, yellow, purple and red colored fruits and vegetables. They have natural antiseptic and anticancer properties. Tomatoes, Beetroots and broccolis are very good for liver and also offer protection against cancer.

Saturated fats like: full-cream dairy products, margarines, processed vegetable oils (hydrogenated fats), deep fried foods should be avoided.

Please consider oat, rice, almond or soy milks.

Please avoid artificial chemicals and toxins such as artificial sweeteners and colorings, (especially aspartame), flavorings and preservatives. Excess alcohol should be avoided.

Please consume a wide range of proteins from grains, raw nuts, seeds, legumes,

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Do not eat (it is likely you are already doing it);

granulated sugar, brown sugar, high- fructose corn syrup, corn sugar,

soft drinks and other sugar-sweetened beverages,

Ice cream, whole milk, and cheese,

Cookies, snack cakes, doughnuts, pastries,

Bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, cookies, cake, or pancakes.

Current dietary guidelines and the American Heart Association recommend reducing sodium to 1,500 mg per day and not exceeding 2,300 mg per day. But most of us get 1½ teaspoons (or 8,500 mg) of salt daily. That translates to about 3,400 mg of daily sodium. We need sodium, but too much can increase blood pressure and the risk of heart disease and stroke.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I understand what foods make up fruits and vegetables; I was wondering if there was a SUPPLEMENT that I could take that would be a substitute for eating all this food. There are "greens" supplements our there that contain dried versions of these foods. For example, some of them are: Green Vibrance, Controlled Labs Orange OxiMega Kit, F3 Nutrition Phytomyte Greens, etc. I fell that if a person ate everything that was advised for optimal health, that they would have another health danger--OVER EATING! thanks

Sorry for misunderstanding your query.

Unfortunately there is no supplement which will take care the need of the vegetables and fruits. A biggest difference between veg and animal origin food is fiber and anti oxidants. There are many long studies, which had conclusively proven that an high fiber diet and anti-oxidants avoid many health problems including colon cancers and other cancers, diverticulitis. heart disease, bowel disorders, constipation, diabetes, etc.

Animal origin food contain almost all ingredients necessary for humans like carbohydrate, fat (which is slightly high than required), proteins, vitamins etc, but they may lack the fiber and anti-oxidants and thus the need for eating veg food.

Hope this clears your query.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Hope you are doing very good.

Let me know if I can do anything further?