A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

At the ER a nurse told me what to give my drunk partner to

Customer Question

At the ER a nurse told me what to give my drunk partner to sober him up. I forgot. It was two vitamins I believe .
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 months ago.

Of course the first thing is to stop consuming alcohol.

Then, drink plenty of fluids, like 8 ounces every hour.

After you have had a cup or two to drink, eat something - anything - but fresh fruits are excellent and easily digested. Fruits are also an excellent source of fructose.

Take Vitamin C. Of course, the best way is an IV drip, but several Vitamin C tablets and some fruit or juice will have to do at home. Grapefruit and kiwi are particularly high in Vitamin C.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not the right answer. Read the question. I paid $22. Didn't get the answer.

"...Not the right answer...."

Actually, the problem is you just didn't get the answer you were expecting. I don't know what old wives' tale you might have been told in the ER by someone who happened to be wearing scrubs. A true RN would never have told you that there was a magic recipe to sober someone up.

I had years in the ER myself, a master's degree in nursing as well as a background in biochemistry. I assure you there is no recipe for two magic vitamins to sober someone up. Excessive alcohol use depletes the levels of vitamin C, vitamin B-12 and magnesium. Vitamin C is the most important one of these. Eating easily digested foods and drinking lots of fluids are of far more importance than taking a vitamin tablet. Mostly the vitamins just help you to feel better after you sober up. They don't increase the speed with which someone sobers up. The body can only process one standard drink per hour (i.e. one beer, one 5 ounce glass of wine, 1.5 ounces of 80-proof liquor). If someone has been binge drinking, it may take even longer since the liver can do only so much. For instance, if they drink a 6-pack of beer, they are going to be at least 6 hours before they are normal again. A fifth of liquor is 17 standard drinks.

I'm sorry there is no magic and that you were misinformed.

Good luck with your friend.

NP Schuyler

~