A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I was just diagnosed with a bulging disk from an MRI on the

Customer Question

I was just diagnosed with a bulging disk from an MRI on the T 10 T 11 and also the L3 and L4 and was trying to find out what I can do and can't do until I have my appointment with the Lasser Spine Center.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Oh my name is Kelly.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Well a year and 1/2 ago I weighed 434 pounds I had a verticle sleeve surgery and I am down to 296. I have bad knees and I exercise 2- 5 days a week. Mostly in the water.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No swelling lots of pain it goes from my lower back and runs down my butt down the back side of my legs. I have been put on 2 steroid packs in the last month and it does not help. Nothing seems to help.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 months ago.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It is fine to continue with your water exercise while you wait for the appointment with Laser Spine Institute. They should be able to get your back fixed up so you won't have all this pain. Exercising in water takes some of the strain off knees and your back, and you do need to keep moving. No doubt you will be out of bed and walking the same day they do surgery (if surgery is what they decide is best for you).

If it is a long time before your appointment, your neurologist may want to consider an epidural injection rather than oral steroids. If the appointment is sooner than that, it's best to avoid the steroid until LSI has had time to evaluate you.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~