Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

My xiphoid process is sore to the touch. I have had this

Customer Question

My xiphoid process is sore to the touch. I have had this before but it goes away.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Couple days this time. I haven't tried anything but ibroprofin
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: High blood pressure. Bad colesterol. And on depression meds. Been having a lot of pain in my thumbs lately too.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 3 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh- A Board Certified Physician and I’m happy to help with your question today.

In medical terms it is called as Xiphoidalgia.

The main symptom of xiphoid syndrome is pain in the lower part of the sternum.

The pain associated is usually dull and aching. The intensity of pain varies from mild discomfort to severe pain.

The line of treatment is-

1. You should take analgesics and NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) like Motrin 400mg thrice a day.

2. Heat application on affected part would be helpful.

3. Physiotherapy can help to sooth the pain and tenderness in the muscles attached to the xiphoid process.

4. You can also use Elastic rib belts, these are also a great way to reduce discomfort caused by xiphoid syndrome. The elastic rib belt provides pressure to the sternum and help to alleviate the pain.

5. It could also be related with GERD, if you have associated nausea, then you can take OTC Zantac.

Please take adequate rest, and most likely in few days, such symptoms, would get resolve.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 3 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going.

Do you need further assistance?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to hep you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards