A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My Mum has flatulence and sometimes passes mucous she also

Customer Question

My Mum has flatulence and sometimes passes mucous she also has bleeding. She thought it was a haemorrhoid but the GP said there was a fleshy thing hanging down. Mum is really worried. What could it be?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, Mum saw the doctor today.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Her Dad, my Grandpa had colon cancer when he was in his 90s.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 months ago.

There is still the possibility that the "fleshy thing" is a hemorrhoid, or a polyp, or even that it is a prolapsed rectum. She needs to see a gastroenterologist rather than a GP for a proper diagnosis. Colon cancer is diagnosed with a biopsy taken during a colonoscopy.

Bleeding can be from hemorrhoids or bleeding polyps. The mucus can come from many things. The bowel is lined with mucus producing glands to help the bowel contents slip through the colon. Any inflammation (proctitis) can cause over-production of mucus. So can intermittent constipation.

There is no way to tell exactly what the situation is without a colonoscopy for which she will need to schedule an appointment with a gastroenterolist.

Please let me know if you need some more information about this.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~