Dr Uzaer
Dr Uzaer, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) and 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine
27273415

I need advice on my sinus problem. no, breathing issuesother

Customer Question

hi , I need advice on my sinus problem .
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: no , breathing issuesother than some congestion on waking, but ......... Ive had sinus issuesfor years , and always managed with occasional antibiotics etc .recently , my face had swollen , and I have seen 2 emergency gps over the last week or so . the forst prescribed doxycycline , which seemed to help slightly for a day or so , then the feverishness cameback. the second[rescribed co - amoxiclav, few days later , felt ill again . phoned the gp , who didn't want to see me , but prescribed predisonile , and carbaceistine , which again , seemed to help for a few days , today however I feel dreadful again , very fatigued , bit achey , feverish chills , but my temperature is normal according to thermometer , if anything a little low 36 .5
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no , iactually asked for your help last week before I spoke to the 2rd doctor wondering if it could be viral . I don't know what to do now ?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my face aches and I have a headache and swollen areas down the side of my nose , my only medication is elleste hrt . I'm 48 , no other medical problems , and the 'goo ' from my sinuses feels like its trying to escape from the corner of my eye , not in a massive way , just like sleep in my eye .
Expert:  Dr Uzaer replied 9 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

This does sound like acute sinusitis.

If there is swelling on the face and difficulty breathing, then you definitely need to see a Doctor as soon as possible, whether in an ER or Urgent Care or your GP, if you can get in today.

All or any infections can be treated, the right way to do so, is to send a culture of the discharge from the sinuses to the lab for a correct involvement of the bacteria involved and which antibiotics it will respond to.

You have been on two different antibiotics both of which failed to eradicate the infection. Now, this needs better attention. An appointment for the ENT specialist for a nasendoscopy and CT scan of the nasal sinuses for assessment will be the best way to proceed.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
not the most flattering photo , as I have a flannel my head at the moment .but what on earth could be so wrong with
and really my question is , how do I cope with this tonight . it seems wrong to go to the a and e dept wih t , but will it get worse and worse
Expert:  Dr Uzaer replied 9 months ago.

If you can not get to a doctor till the morning, then steam inhalations with menthol crystal, nasal decongestants like xylometazoline nasal spray 1 puff each nostril thrice a day. Anti inflammatory medication like Tylenol 2 tablets thrice a day and sleep with a head up tilt. Lots of fluids to keep yourself hydrated.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
please can you advise me , should i go to the urgent care dept tonight , ? ,i have one co - amoxiclav tablet left to take now
Expert:  Dr Uzaer replied 9 months ago.

You need a decongestant and nebulization for relief of the current symptoms and then a referral to the ENT for a thorough evaluation. If you think that you can not cope with this at home and if this is severe enough to keep you up all night, the best course of action will be to see a physician in the Emergency Room.

Expert:  Dr Uzaer replied 9 months ago.

Regards.