Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and Health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.

I was recently (in the last year) diagnosed with adult

Customer Question

I was recently (in the last year) diagnosed with adult asthma. My main symptom was chronic coughing and a lot of congestion. I have never been short of breath. We have tried many meds and I am currently taking singular every morning along with a Breo inhaler. We have the coughing down to a rarity but my congestion remains. I thought the singular was helping at first but now the post nasal drip is back and very aggravating. I used Afrin spray yesterday and for the first time in months I didn't have any post nasal drip for half a day. I am considering stopping the singular and just trying a spray. I should mention that I have a high deductible health plan and every time I see the pulmonologist it costs me $200. I really don't want to have to go to him every time I want to try something new. I should mention I have only been taking singular for 8 weeks or so.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: The cough has been a problem for 18 months but like I mentioned I think we have that addressed for now. The post nasal drip is the biggest problem now. I do cough a few times a day and white globs come up.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. I was a very healthy athlete before this problem. I don't run any further than a mile anymore and get sick very often. I have 2 small kids in school so I thought that was the problem at first. I'm sure it doesn't help. My physicals are all great so no problems.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. Bonilla, experienced in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care.

I understand your concerns. Your case is likely to be cough variant asthma with persistent symptoms. It sounds like postnasal drip is triggering your symptoms. You should continue your medications including breo and singulair. You can use an intranasal steroid like flonase. You can get it over the counter and used it twice a day. Usually symptoms resolve after 3-4 weeks of treatment. Other thing causing cough and asthma sometimes is GERD. You can get treatment from your PCP if you have any symptoms. I can offer you a premium service if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 3 months ago.

You requested for a Phone call, Please accept , so that I can call you