Experience:  Pulmonary/ Critical Care at Boston University

A couple of years ago, I was eating a cheeseburger and heard

Customer Question

A couple of years ago, I was eating a cheeseburger and heard a low crack. It was an eye tooth that I had a root canal on about 15 years ago. It was barely hanging on, so I just worked with it for a few minutes and it came loose. My face started to swell, by Sunday I was almost unregonisable. Tried to go to one of the minute clinics. They told me to get to an emergency room. They took x-rays to make sure there was no infection. It was clear, so sent me home with a script for pain meds and antibiotics. Ever since then whe my sinus get clogged my face swells. My primary care physician has treated me once with antibiotics and Flonase. It usually works, but not this time. It is very painfull and can't touch even touch it. Am running a low grade fever. Can't afford an emergency bill, just want to know if going to an Urgent Care Center will be able to help.
Category: Health
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. Bonilla, experienced in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care.

I understand your concerns. The problem you described is concern for an infection and possible abscess. The pain and low grade fever are concerning for progressive infection. You should go to the ED to have a full assessment and treatment. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. G replied 3 months ago.
Just to add on thing are you sure the entire tooth is actually removed. It's fairly rare for the entire thing to be easily removed. My suspicion as mentioned above is infection with residual tooth root as the source.

It's hard to say. You have an infection and the source has to be determine. Sometimes the cavity itself can get infected.

Please rate my answer