Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

My husband squirted Purell hand sanitizer in s eyes. We have

Customer Question

My husband squirted Purell hand sanitizer in his eyes. We have flushed thoroughly with cold water and saline solution. Is there something more we should do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 5 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh- A Board Certified Physician. and I’m happy to help with your question today.

I am so sorry to hear about your husband's squirting of Purell hand sanitizer in his eyes.

Hand sanitizer products contain at least 60 percent alcohol--usually ethanol or isopropanol & it is this what kills the germs but this ingredient when comes in contact accidentally with eyes,causes burning sensation & irritation.

Following should be done :

• flush the eye through luke warm water(which your husband had already done).
  • Flushing should be done for minimum 10 to 15 minutes
  • To blink rapidly while pouring the water across your eye.
  • Keep the uninjured eye tightly closed
  • Do not rub your eye

Don't worry too much. It is very common in our daily life. Usually after he do this,his eyes will get better and the pain(if any) will be gone very soon.

If still after this the symptoms persists,then he need to consult his eye doctor for examination.

Usually & most likely after this,the redness,irritation will go away in next couple of hours. There is nothing much more that can be done.Just keep observing her eye. The redness will go away in next few hours.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please

reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

l

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 5 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Hope that by this time,your husband is feeling much better.

Do you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh