A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I have noticed a hard lump behind my ear in the lower back

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I have noticed a hard lump behind my ear in the lower back of my head. It's painless and of the size of a half walnut
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: It's hard n I noticed it a week ago
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Yes, I have pain in the base of my neck on the same right side for the last 6 months
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 3 months ago.

This lump can be an enlarged lymph gland. They enlarge and can become uncomfortable any time there is an infection, irritation, or inflammation in the area. The pain at the base of the neck also needs to be investigated. It may be a compressed nerve which can sometimes be improved with physical therapy.

Please let me know if you need additional information about this.

Kind regards,