Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I need an appetite suppressant that won't raise blood

Customer Question

I need an appetite suppressant that won't raise blood pressure
JA: Sounds like you have some questions about your blood pressure. Luckily, the doctors and specialists are on call 24/7 to get you the answers you need to stay healthy.
Customer: Thank you.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I need to lose weight I am borderline diabetic
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Following over the counter medications are suppose to be effective for the weight loss and have a low incidence of raising blood pressure. Hopefully you are doing the other measures (exercises and dietary cautions);

1) Alli; it decreases fat absorption in the body.
2) Conjugated linoleic acid; it decreases body fat.

Weight loss pills usually work in following ways;

1) boosting the body's basal metabolic rate,
2) blocking the absorption of dietary fat,
3) suppressing appetite.

These are the other over the counter herbs / supplements which have small evidences of efficacy;

1) Green tea extract

2) Guar gum

3) Chitosan

4) Hoodia

5) Chromium

6) Bitter orange

There are prescription medications too which your doctor may recommend (these may raise blood pressure in some individuals);

a) Phentermine is US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved for short-term (up to 12 weeks) treatment of obesity and is the most widely prescribed weight-loss drug.

b) Diethylpropion

c) Benzphetamine and Phendimetrazine

d) Orlistat is currently available as a prescription drug (Xenical 120 mg) or an over-the-counter weight loss supplement (Alli 60 mg).

The weight loss pills can have some significant side effects in individuals and they can best be used as;

1) Adjunct to the other measures like diet and exercises.
2) They should be used as short term measures.

The weight loss management is a long term management as diabetes and high blood pressure so one need to take continuous precautions to continue weight loss and prevent weight gain (as you know). The treatment of obesity is built on the core pyramid of diet, exercise, and lifestyle change. Diet has always been central to the study of nutrition. So you should also consult a nutritional specialist and endocrinologist (if not yet done). Here is an article written by a doctor for treating his own obesity;

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/749483_4

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/