Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Yesterday I realized I had a UTI. I had unprotected sex a

Customer Question

Hello. Yesterday I realized I had a UTI. I had unprotected sex a few days ago, he pulled out but I couldn't tell if any sperm got into my vagina. I should have my period in 1-3 more days. I noticed a very light bleeding starting when I realized I had the UTI. It's not enough to get on my underwear but enough to lightly see when I wipe. I put a tampon to see if this light bleeding was coming from my vagina. I noticed the string is where I saw the light blood. So is my clit bleeding because of the UTI? Or is this spotting of a possible pregnancy? I am 18 years old and I have only had 1 other UTI many years ago but I don't remember any bleeding. Please help me!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

A UTI will have bleeding during, before or after the urination, usually. Clitoris won't bleed in a urinary tract infection. A severe infection may have some blood from urethra (urinary passage), without urination, very occasionally.

Pregnancy too is quite unlikely (though cannot be ruled out completely) with pulling out and semen not entering in vagina. A bleeding can be due to implantation.

Thus your symptoms, are unable to conclude for the diagnosis. And in that case, we need some investigations to arrive on the cause. You may do following;

1) Do a home pregnancy test which can rule out pregnancy.

2) Home urine testing for UTI. Kits are available at pharmacy. That should ascertain the causative.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

The chance off UTI is far higher than anything else for the bleeding. The other cause can be slight early period.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

Hope you are doing very good. Please let me know if I can do anything further for you.

A positive rating would be appreciated as this is the only way we are compensated for time and expertise.