A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I am researching why I have gh red blood cell count and

Customer Question

Hi, I am researching why I have high red blood cell count and calcified granulomas in lung and spleen.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: Had symptoms over a year now--extreme weakness, tiredness and joint pain, Doc has only prescribed pain meds.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Sorry I am so slow--- have bulging disks @ L5-4-3 and S1. Symptoms over a year. Had stroke in 2012---a-fib related.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your questions.

Calcified granulomas anywhere are the result of inflammation years ago, that has had calcium deposited over the years. They can be anywhere - lungs, liver, pancreas, spleen,, etc. They are benign and no treatment is generally necessary.

A higher than normal level of red blood cells is called polycythemia. It can be primary or secondary. Primary is due to inherent problems in the blood production system that are usually genetic. Secondary occurs due to other things that affect red blood cell production. Secondary causes can be things like COPD or emphysema, heart problems (congestive heart failure, or problems with passage of blood through the heart), pulmonary hypertension, or sleep apnea. All of theses things result in decreased oxygen to the brain, so the body reacts by making more red blood cells because the brain has to have oxygen. Other causes are living at higher elevations, some kidney problems, tumors in the adrenal glands, uterus, some cancers, and even some medications.

Please reply if you need additional information.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~