Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I tripped yesterday and now can hardly walk on the injured

Customer Question

I tripped yesterday and now can hardly walk on the injured foot. There is relatively no pain unless I try to walk. It is slightly swollen. I've been keeping ice on it with some relief. I've always heard you can't put a cast on a foot, anyway I don't feel it's broken. Any advice?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 months ago.
Hello!
From description it SOUNDS very possible that you may be descrinlbing a stress fracture if metatarsal bone within the foot ...xray may help in diagnosis
Not casted but a walking boot applied to keep fracture stable usually
It could be a strain or sprain_ soft tissue injury ...
Advil or Aleve may help you
Aleve 2 tablets twice a day with food may be of help...
Stay off foot to extent practical
Elevate when you can...
It hurting to bear weight or walk sounds suspicious ......
I hope that this information is helpful for you
Let me know if you have further questions or concerns
I will be happy to get back with you
If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback
Thank you and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Since the pain isn't that bad unless I do put weight on it or try to walk, you mentioned it sounded suspicious, what do you mean by that?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Maybe I put the request in the wrong box. But wondering what you meant by "being suspicious" (Since the pain isn't that bad unless I try to walk on it)
The history seems to suggest it as possible ...now if the pain is mild then probably just soft tissue injury .. A fracture even a cracked bone ( non displaced fracture) would tend to be VERY PAINFUL to bear weight or walk ...it usually hurts worse the next day >> soft tissue injury more often about the same next day ...
I hope that this helps
The most common fractures of the foot are of the smaller long bones in the foot the 4th or 5th metatarsal which are on the outer portion of the foot ( proximal to the little toe and the 4th....)
I hope that this description is helpful ...Let me know if you have further details ...
Also any bruising ??
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The bruising and swelling are on the outer side and top of my right foot. I feel it's only bruised, but didn't want to assume. It's just really strange that it only hurts when I try to walk. Feeling confused.

Hello again,

Walking is going to put the most pressure on the foot ...so this force is going to be the most likely time to experience pain...

If it hurts to great extent with walking then I think you should have it examined ...

If it is mild and improving that would not suggest a stress fracture ...a stress fracture would tend not feel better days 1 -2-3-4-5.... Soft tissue injury would more improve ....

I hope that this helps ..

Let me know if I may be of further help

Best regards !

Anthony Bray MD

Hello ,

It continues to heal and look better ..

A reactive lymph node usually settles down gradually over a couple to few weeks time frame ...not to worry

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Please disregard JULY 9 th response above

It was in answer to a different question and got switched to your thread ...

Take Care ----