Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.

I tripped an split my knee open 9 days ago. I am on vacation

Customer Question

I tripped an split my knee open 9 days ago. I am on vacation and went to a local urgent care that was in my insurance plan. The urgent care put in 5 sutures right below my patella. I went back to them for a follow up as they advised 7 days later. They removed the sutures, all looked well until this morning. This morning the laceration opened back up. The er said they wouldn't re close it because of infection risk. How do I best care for the laceration?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is. Dr. David

you need to be referred to a wound clinic locally where a doctor or nurse can look at your wound.

you may need daily wet to dray gauze dressings or packing of the dressing to help the area close up

there are also visiting home nurses which could come to your home to help you with your wound.

do you have a primary care doctor who can get you to a wound care clinic?

it sounds like the urgent care center didn't give you much instruction in this follow up care