Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.

I have always had a big abdomen in comparison with the rest

Customer Question

I have always had a big abdomen in comparison with the rest of me. But I have always put it down to not being able to lose weight there.
I am 50 now and have three pregnancies with two children. Each pregnancy made me gain weight but I was able to lose it and kept it down to 135 lbs. I am 5'3. All my extra weight is my abdomen.
A year ago I had an hysterectomy and was told I had a lot of adhesions. I gained weight after that but again have been able to bring it down. Now am 143 lbs and on track to get down to 135 within the next 6 months ( I do not believe in rush diets).
I do think my GERD may be returning too. I had it 13 years ago after my second child was born. Two years of diet and life changes made me better.
Today an older lady told me that I should get this checked out and that my stomach is not just a matter of exercise.
My question:What could it be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

you should see your doctor and get your blood levels checked for polycystic ovarian syndrome which can cause you to gain weight

also you thyroid levels need to be checked as well.

cortisol levels should be checked as well, but usually they are normal.

it sounds like you have had experience with dieting and loosing weight.

it is important to also exercise and diet as well to loose weight slowly over time.

you should ask to see a nutritionist or dietician and also a exercise therapist to help you loose weight.

you may need to improve your core abdominal strength to help decrease GERDS

also you may need stomach acid reducers like zantac or maalox to decrease GERDs

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using