DrThomasMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director

I have had gh platelets 3 years on & off. Never exceeding

Customer Question

I have had high platelets for over 3 years on & off. Never exceeding 550 and the latest (in Feb) was 516. I went to a hematologist on my doctor's insistence and he said that was nothing and not to worry about it. He only worries when it hits 1 million. I'm healthy, in shape, eat well, don't drink or smoke. I'm 52 (pre-menopausal) and have worked out with a personal trainer and used to walk 5 miles 4 to 5 times a week. I have had trouble with fatigue and lack of energy as well as pain in my knees and other joints. Went to knee doc and said mild degenerative changes/arthritis but space between bone is good. Got a cortisone shot which helped part of my knee but not the whole knee. Had MRI on left knee showing "runners knee" and fluid. MRI on spine shows disc protrusions mild in cervical spine and broad protrusions in L4-L5. Have bilateral effusions and mild degenerative changes in both hips. So a lot of joint pain. Elbows, wrists, fingers, left ankle & right foot. Back locks up occasionally & hip and knees are painful. Stiff when I wake up or sit for short periods. Is all of this related? Or am I just old?
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 3 months ago.

The platelets are not related to this.

The arthritis is mild and likely related to wear and tear.

However, you should nave a sed rate and ANA panel, lab tests, to rule out autoimmune problems.

You should have thyroid function testing to rule out a contribution to fatigue.

Most of all, you need to see a physical medicine MD, for physical therapy to stop the spinal degenerative process.

Diet and exercise need to be revised.

Additional information: your platelets are not significantly high. Check serum iron and ferritin. If you are on the low end, this can bey why this results consistently.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here