Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I recently had blood work and my PTH, Intact was 89. Notes

Customer Question

I recently had blood work and my PTH, Intact was 89. Notes from my cardiologist were to see my PCP for this. I have an appointment in 2 weeks but my nerves are getting the best of me and googling side effects, causes, etc. are only making it worse. What does this mean?
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr.Nitika-a board certified physician. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

What about your serum calcium and vitamin D levels?

Any medical illness?

Are you taking any medicines?

Any symptoms?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Calcium -9.1
Vitamin D is not listed in my results. Ferritin is 12.
Symptoms that prompted me to initially go to the doctor were fatigue, muscle and joint soreness, pitting edema in my legs and feet. Reviewing my blood tests the PTH and Ferritin are the only 2 that were suggested I see my PCP. I had a vertical gastronomy in 2013. In the summer of 2015 my weight was 110, as of Thursday I weighed 183. My diet since bariatric surgery has been minimal. I try to add protein to my daily food/supplement intake but normally can not hold that down. I had my gall bladder removed in 2014 and suffered 3 bouts with kidney stones.Medications:
- hydrocodone
- gabapentin
- tizanidine
- protonix
- temazepam
- citalopram
- viberzi for IBS-D
- Lasix
- lomotil
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Let me at the outset tell you that there is no emergency; though your PTH is significantly raised. This means that your parathyroid glands are working more than normal. These are likely to be responsible for your kidney stone formation too. You would require parathyroid scan (which is a nuclear scan). There are 4 parathyorid glands in the neck (under the thyroid gland). The scan would determine which gland is functioning more and that may be removed by the surgery.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your assistance. If surgery is needed to remove the parathyroid that is functioning more than normal what treatment, if any, would be needed to replace the function of the gland removed?

You are very welcome.

As we discussed; there are 4 parathyroid glands. Usually only one is hyperfunctioning. The gland which is working more than normal is determined by the nuclear parathyroid scan. That one gland is removed and rest of the three are able to take care of the normal parathyroid functions of the body.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Hope you are doing very good.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
This is the link to my profile:

There is a saying about the parathyroid glands hyper functioning;

1) abdominal groans

2) Psychic moans

3) Fatigue overtones

4) Kidney stones.

Removal of the parathyroid may help you in reducing your many medications.

Hope you are doing very good. Please let me know if I can do anything further for you.

A positive rating would be appreciated as this is the only way we are compensated for time and expertise.