A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I have blood from my bottom, On and off while health

Customer Question

I have blood from my bottom
JA: In general, how has your health been lately? How long have you been dealing with the issue?
Customer: On and off for a while health fine..have put it down to piles as it goes away. Get constipated and lots of straining last few days it's happened more just sat down for a pee and blood in toilet bowl and on tissue bright red
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No apart from high blood pressure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 3 months ago.

You are correct that this is most likely from hemorrhoids (piles). Bright red blood means it is coming from the lower end of the digestive tract. If you are having lots of blood (i.e. more than a teaspoon) you should see your doctor since this amount of blood on a regular basis can lead to anemia.

Keeping your stool soft will help with the constipation which leads to irritation of the hemorrhoids. A diet high in fiber with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and plenty of fluids can help. If necessary you can use a fiber supplement like Metamucil (psyllium husk powder) to help.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Kind regards,