Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I've been trying get my licence back was banned 5 years ago

Customer Question

I've been trying get my licence back was banned 5 years ago I need a medical my alt is36 my ast is22 my mcv is 94.4 but my ggt is 456 I ve just had my appendix out and was in hospital a week on antibiotics it has also affected my gallbladder bladder which I have got to have removed at a later date I'm also a diabetic type 2 which could have the affect on my ggt I have not touched a drink in 8 weeks I've heard there is a new test out now if you were banned before 2013 called a cdtyesy test is this so and would I pass
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I'm taking no medication at all now for the last 10 days I had my blood test 2 days ago in process of applying for my licence
JA: In general, how has your health been lately? How long have you been dealing with the issue?
Customer: Health has been ok was put on statins but stopped taking them 4 months ago I feel really good in general
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

YOU will pass CDT test; since you have not taken a drink for 8 weeks. An high GGT in your case is likely due to antibiotics or some medications. An high GGT has other causes too, apart from alcoholism.

Liver gamma glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT) can be raised by:

1) alcohol,
2) phenytoin,
3) barbiturates, and
4) warfarin.

Clinically, its main utility is suggesting a liver source for an elevated alkaline phosphatase. So if your alkaline phosphatase is normal; nothing to worry.

It has a low predictive value (32%) for hepatobiliary (liver and bile) disease, as it is present in numerous body compartments, including kidney tubules, pancreas (ductules and acinar cells), heart, lung, and brain.

Other clinical conditions in which GGT elevation has been reported are;

1) diabetes mellitus,
2) hyperthyroidism,
3) rheumatoid arthritis, and
4) chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Its clinical utility in assessing surreptitious alcohol use is questionable, as it has a half-life of 26 days and demonstrates poor correlation with alcohol binging.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.