Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My rdw is 15.6 and my mpv is 6.76. just trying to understand

Customer Question

my rdw is 15.6 and my mpv is 6.76. just trying to understand what that means.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: oh yes. had a endoscopy and colonoscopy done to determine if there were any issues there. I am now on an iron supplement. i'm 62 years old, do not eat red meat. I take lipitor (10 mg) 3 X a week. prevacid - 30 mg - daily. hydrothorazide (30mg) daily and effexor XR 75mg daily. Additionally, I take magnisium, fish oil, turmuric, ubiquinol, and a daily vitamin, and allegra.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: Really didn't have any symtons. I went in for a physical. I was getting B12 shots weekly as part of a weight loss routine but stopped that to prep for the procedures that were being done (colonoscopy, endoscopy)
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. I just strive to keep healthy with diet and exercise and I was surprised to see that my low count was low. The local blood drives loved me to come in which I did regularly since my blood type is A-. The last time I gave blood was in Dec and they had taken 2 pints at that time.
JA: When I remember I'll let you know.
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: This statement - When I remember I'll let you know
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Your MPV is slightly low. This tells about the average size of the platelets. MPV needs to be corroborated with the platelet counts. If the counts are normal; it is not worrisome. A low volume of platelet is rarely associated by slight bleeding risk but with counts being normal; this risk is extremely low.

RDW normal range is considered as 11.6-14.6% in adults. Your is slightly high. Elevated RDW gives a clue for a diagnosis of early nutritional deficiency such as iron, folate, or vitamin B12 deficency as it becomes elevated earlier than other red blood cell parameters. Iron deficiency may cause it. Since you are already on iron supplement; this is likely to take care of it. You may get following, if not already done;

1) Vitamin D level

2) Peripheral blood film

3) Vitamin B-12

4) Folate

5) Reticulocyte count

6) LDH

7) Thyroid-stimulating hormone

8) Serum creatinine and estimated glomerular filtration rate

9) Serum ferritin

10) Serum iron

11) Total iron-binding capacity

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Hope you are doing very good. Please let me know if I can do anything further for you.

A positive rating would be appreciated as this is the only way we are compensated for time and expertise.