A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Before I went to bed last night I took a Benadryl because I

Customer Question

Before I went to bed last night I took a Benadryl because I noticed just a couple of hives appearing on my stomach and breast. I am allergic to penicillin and wonder if it somehow got into my system. When I woke up 6 hours later, my entire lower back is covered in hives and my stomach too. Nothing on my arms or face that I noticed. Should I take more Benadryl or seek medical attention? Also, it if is concentrated to my back and stomach does that mean it is leaving my system?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 months ago.

It doesn't mean that penicillin has entered your system unless you took a penicillin tablet. If you haven't taken any medication then it can't be penicillin.

However, you are probably allergic to something else you have encountered. Where the rash is on your body doesn't signify that "it is leaving your system." The hives are your skin reaction to something you are allergic to. It may be something you have eaten, or touched, a perfume (even someone else's), a cleaning product, etc.

You can continue to take Benadryl or other antihistamine (Zyrtec, Claritin) if the itching isn't too bad. If it gets worse, or you have difficulty breathing or swallowing, you should seek medical attention ASAP.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~