Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I'll have deep itching around a hand joint. Some time, up to

Customer Question

I'll have deep itching around a hand joint. Some time, up to 24 hours later, a small bump/pustule will emerge, lasting several days to a week, if I leave it alone. They are very slightly itchy/sore when squeezed, which can produce a clear fluid. This happened recently after having been free of these occurrences for several years. I recall this happening the first time after a trip to Costa Rica in the '90s.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: Since the late '90s. I scratch, but the itch subsides after 5 to 10 minutes.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had knee replacement for osteoarthritis, but don't have it anywhere else presently. I eat well, moderately exercise and am in good health.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 3 months ago.

How many of these bumps appear at a time? How many are present now? It sounds that there may be a few possible explanations ...

If you may be able to post a picture of one or more of these bumps that may be helpful ...

It may be some type of bite such as a mosquito bite --- Do these episodes happen more when you are in warmer months? Time spend outside ? These if true may fit with mosquito or other type bites as one possibility

Do blisters more occur in small groups ? Limited to the hands? More in between fingers ?? If this is the case then you may have a condition of dishydrotic eczema >>> this may improve with a moderate or high potency steroid cream for a week or so ( stroger steroid topical creams would be by prescription )

The itching would be helped in either case by taking an antihistamine and these are over the counter --- Zyrtec or Benadryl or Alleges should be helpful

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further details/ pics/ question/ concerns / discussion.

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Only one bump appears. I've had 2 episodes within the last week and a half, one on the outside of my little finger between the second and last joint, an the other on the outside top of my palm just below the joint of my little finger on my other hand. This always occurs around joints on my hands. I also had a recent breakout of herpes simplex, wondering if they could be related. Note - I do not touch the breakout area without thoroughly washing my hands afterward.

Hello again,

The sporadic and the locale limited to the hands SOUNDS to me that you may have dishidrotic eczema.. .

This skin condition may range in severity.

often it is self-limited..

see reference here ...

The itching would benefit from an antihistamine..

You could have some benefit from topical products such as 1 percent hydrocortisone or topical caladryl

RX strength topical steroids may benefit more severe or stubborn cases..

If mild and self limited then it may be that you mainly wish to know what is going on...

I hope that this is helpful for you..

Let me know if I may be of further help.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The pics don't effectively show the bumps. They're not blisters but more like a pimple, kind of hard.
What do you mean by "self-limited"?

By self limited I mean that it clears up on its own without any intervention...

An episode may clear up but may be recurrent

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is self-limited and quite mild, from what I've read so far.
Thanks very much for your time and reference.

You're very welcome ! Let me know if I may be of further help! Take Care! Have a nice weekend !

Anthony Bray MD

I hope that this has been helpful for you today! Please remember to leave positive feedback on this thread if that has been the case .

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD