Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I was diagnosed with MS in 2009, my Dr recently transferred

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with MS in 2009, my Dr recently transferred to another hospital and I'm being told by his replacement that I never had MS. I asked about the lesions on my brain and the spinal tap and he said he wasn't impressed by the lesions given the location and that spinal tap MS diagnosis was so 1940's
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes I am/was taking Copaxone but this new dr suggested that I stop because he doesn't think it's MS, and he reiterated that he was not impressed even though 2 neurologist prior to him dx me with MS
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: On the MRI the finding were a TR abnormality in the peritrigonal White matter with few scattered tiny foci in the cerebral white matter. The dx of MS was given after the MRI and the lumbar puncture.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

What are the various symptoms experienced when you last timed were diagnosed MS?

Is your doctor giving you an alternative diagnosis and treatment?

What is your age and gender?

It seems that your are offline so I am writing an initial answer. You may ask follow up questions once you read this.

MS is diagnosed on the basis of clinical findings and supporting evidence from ancillary tests. Tests include the following:

• Magnetic resonance imaging: The imaging procedure of choice for confirming MS and monitoring disease progression in the CNS

• Evoked potentials: Used to identify subclinical lesions; results are not specific for MS

• Lumbar puncture: May be useful if MRI is unavailable or MRI findings are nondiagnostic; CSF is evaluated for oligoclonal bands and intrathecal immunoglobulin G (IgG) production.

Please see the reference for above;

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1146199-overview

The McDonald criteria, which were developed in 2001 by an international expert panel and revised in 2005 and 2010, provide recommendations on the diagnosis of MS, including diagnosis after a single attack. The criteria consist of a combination of clinical, imaging, and paraclinical tests (ie, CSF, evoked potentials). Please see the references;

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1146199-workup#c8

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3084507/

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Hope you are doing good.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Please consider a positive rating as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for time, work and expertise.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.