Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago and they took blood and

Customer Question

I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago for nausea and they took blood and concluded i was not pregnant. I took a pregnancy test today and it says I am pregnant. I was wondering how this happened where I tested negative at the doctor but 4 at home pregnancy test tested positive (one from different brand)?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

There can couple of reasons for an initial pregnancy test to be negative;

1) A urine pregnancy test has a lower sensitivity. So unless pregnancy hormone come to level good enough to be detected by the urine pregnancy kit; the test may not be positive.

2) Another reason can be that test may have been done too early. After the fertilization of ovum and sperm; this has to attach to the uterus (womb), which may take some days. After attachment to the uterus; the pregnancy hormone starts growing. So if the test is performed just before the attachment to uterus; it may be turn out to be negative.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Just to add to the above answer;

There is a pregnancy called as ectopic gestation. In this the fertilized ovum attaches to ovary or fallopian tube or elsewhere instead of uterus. This may not raise the pregnancy hormone for significant duration and thus tests may come negative. This is not common but a possibility for negative tests. An ultrasound can detect it. Please read about it;

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

It is privilege assisting you.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Hope you are doing good.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Please consider a positive rating as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for time, work and expertise.