Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic

I t my elbow hard on a metal table today. My elbow has

Customer Question

I hit my elbow hard on a metal table today. My elbow has started to swell and bruise and my last two fingers are cold and tingly. It hurts to straighten my arm or graze that part of the elbow. I am wondering how I would know the difference between a muscle bruise and a bone break?
Category: Health
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 4 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

It sounds like you suffered a contusion of your elbow.

However, considering you are having some neurological symptoms such as cold and tingling in some of your fingers, it would be a good idea to get an X ray just to make sure there is no damage that is potentially affecting your nerves.

In the mean time, I would ice the area for 20 minutes, every hour, 5 times a day for the next week or so.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Is there anything else I can help you with?