Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

Im 21 and noticed the right side of my apple is slightly

Customer Question

Im 21 and noticed the right side of my adams apple is slightly larger than the left. Its noticeable according to a coworker and a picture I sent to a friend. Im not sure what to do about it, as im in an insurance limbo and cant consult my doctor yet. My throat is somewhat itchy (could possibly be allergies) and my right ear has had some pain internally. Cant pinpoint where though. Dont know if thats relevant.
So...basically im pretty concerned. The slightly larger area is to the right of the sharp point on the adams apple in the center. Its maybe an inch or less to the right. Help?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 4 months ago.

Adam's apple may not be exactly symmetrical. It is likely that the asymmetry was not noticed before.

A swelling can also occur if the thyroid gland disease like hypothyroidism or hyperthyroisdism.

In such cases a blood test called thyroid function test may be done apart from thyroid ultrasound for further diagnosis and management.

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My weight seems to be relatively the same. I have had some minor BP issues, as well as a feeling that I need to take a deep breath. Along with some tinnitus type symptoms with a ringing in the ear. I dont know if any of these tie together in some way regarding the adams apple thing. I just figure I should mention it just in case.
At what point would you recommend me taking action and seeing a doctor. Keeping in mind I dont have insurance at the moment, and would prefer not to pay for those tests out of pocket.
Also, thank you for your time. :)
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 4 months ago.

I do think that you should wait for few days and monitor the size and if it is constant for next few months you may not require any immediate medical attention.

It is possible that the asymmetry was not noticed before.

Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 4 months ago.

Wish for good health.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

Please let me know if you have any questions, otherwise please click ACCEPT! Thank you!
It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Best Wishes.