DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

Previously had low ferritin down to 2 in 2013, since been on

Customer Question

Hi, previously had low ferritin down to 2 in 2013, since been on iron and started b12 following receommendation and vitamin c to help absorption, last blood results showed hemoglobin at 14.4, folate 11.6, ferritin 133, b12 1036 . Now awaiting further blood tests to check thyroid, c-reactive protein, renal profile and blood glucose. I'm generally tired, I can't exercise much as I'm soon wiped out, I'm 5'4" and 160lbs, I aim to try and walk 10,000 steps a day, eat plenty of fruit veg, fish and meat, drink plenty of water , i do not smoke, i do not drink, i do not have monthyl periods since starting on cerelle contraceptive pill. I have had thyroid etc blood tests previously but they all came back negative. What would you be looking at?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you in any pain?
Customer: Ferritin was at 3 back in 2013, I'm not in any pain only muscles get unusually sore after exercise, I'm having slight visual disturbances and my ears are constantly blocked which I've been prescriben 'dymista' for 3 months to try and unblock my eustachian tubes.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I was told I have cough variant asthma, but when I get my ''coughing fits'' peak flow decreases from say 450 down to 390
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Also previously had very painful periods and one doc told me I had PCOS - no tests or exams
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 10 months ago.

Hi

what is your exact TSH value on the thyroid tests?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your reply, I don't get the thyroid, c-reactive, renal and glucose bloods drawn until monday 27/6/16 and I don't know what they were previously, sorry.

They are probably not negative.

Guidelines have changes.

Most doctors think TSH is normal up to 4.5

But higher than 2.5 can be hypothyroid.

You need to know the exact values.

If your iron is normal, this is not it.

I think it is thyroid.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Although I have not had bloods taken yet, I do have an unexplained cough, I do not have a cold and it is not hayfever, it's chesty sounding, but the dr listened to my chest and it was clear, would thyroid cause this?

No.

that would more likely be viral

Or, if chronic, acid reflux.

Please click a positive rating.

Find me anytime.