Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.
41363181

My husband recently had a hair follicle test. he does not

Customer Question

my husband recently had a hair follicle test for work. he does not use any illegal drugs. he got his results and they were positive for methamphedimine. how is that possible? he doesn't use drugs. can any cold medications cause this? he's been sick for two weeks and taking over the counter medications and nyquil. his regular prescribed medications are indomethacin, pioglit, atrovastatin. can you please help us figure out how this could happen? my husband may lose his job over this.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

the hair sample could have been contaiminated by the drug

there are many drugs which can cause false positive for meth

I included an article about it

cold medications with brompheniramine or phenylpropanolamine can cause false positives.

I bet his nyquil cold medications contained ingredients which caused this false positive

all hair screening tests which are positive have to be confirmed by a MS/GC mass spectroscopy/gas chromatography confirmatory test

if he doesn't use meth, his confirmatory test will be negative.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they will be able to tell the difference between if it was a cold medicine or something that triggered a false positive? do they automatically do that MS/GC test if it is a positive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my husband was taking dayquil during the day and nyquil during the night. would any of his daily prescriptions that he is on cause the false positive?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

the confirmatory test will be able to tell

most likely his dayquil and nyquil contained the medications that caused the false positive for his hair test.

talk to his doctors or testers about the article I gave you and the MS/GC confirmatory test that has to be done

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com