A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Painful lump the size of a plum in solar plexis. I have been

Customer Question

Painful lump the size of a plum in solar plexis. I have been doing a lot of bending and heavy lifting, digging in hard dirt and shoveling. I am a 70 yr old female.
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: For about three years. I could feel it, but did not hurt unless I pressed hard on it. It seems to be soft, as in spongy
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have a mild hiatal hernia, some back issues which are being treated
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 months ago.

This may be another kind of hernia - an epigastric hernia. It occurs when a weakness in the muscles allows protrusion of contents through the muscle. Your primary should be able to diagnose this. Often no treatment is required unless the contents come through the muscles and cannot be pushed back into place. This is called a "strangulated hernia" and would need surgical intervention to prevent gangrene. Here is some additional information on hernias:

Another possibility is a lipoma - a fatty tumor. These are benign tumors composed essentially of fat. Again, no treatment is necessary unless it becomes cosmetically displeasing, then it can be removed surgically (simple outpatient procedure). Here is some additional information on lipomas:

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Kind regards,