A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I just had a complete blood workup with everyth8ing being

Customer Question

Hello- I just had a complete blood workup with everyth8ing being normal except that my ALT liver enzymes came up as 90. My Dr wants me to have a sonogram which I will do and suggested this could be due from fatty liver- This wouldn't surprise me as I am about 40 lbs overweight most of it I my midsection. I eat way too much fats and sugars so I wasn't surprised. But now I am scared that damage may have been caused. I do not drink any alcohol and the only medications I take isMetformin(To keep my weight down) not for diabetes and ambien asneeded for sleep- High High can ALT levels go and what are the normal range for it
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 months ago.

"Normal range" for ALT varies from lab to lab depending on the equipment they use. Your lab report should have the reference range listed right next to the value of 90.

We normally aren't concerned until the level is 2.5 to 3 times the upper level of normal. For instance, if the "normal" for the lab is 5-40, then we don't worry at all until the level is in the 100-120 range. With serious liver problems the levels can go well into the hundreds.

Treatment consists of weight loss, changes in diet to incorporate more vegetables and fewer fats, exercise. People also often have cholesterol problems and these need to be addressed as well.

Please reply if you have additional questions about this.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

If you have no more questions, I would appreciate a positive rating, since that is the only way I am paid.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello- Sorry for getting back so late- I just wanted to see what the normal values were for the ALT based on the lab- so thenormal values are 14-54 and mine were 90. But my doctor wants me to do a sonogram to see if the cause is fatty liver- all ehe restof my blood work is normal. I am concerned

Often we don't worry about ALT until it is 2.5 to 3 times the higher level of normal, which at your lab would mean 135-162. Your doctor is proceeding with an extra measure of caution, probably due to your being overweight and admittedly having poor eating habits. Your cholesterol and triglycerides might also be normal, but at the higher levels of normal. It takes some time at very high levels of liver enzymes to cause cirrhosis. Evidently your previous tests have all been within normal range, so this elevation is something new.

If it is fatty liver, you will have plenty of time to reverse it before damage is done.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But I also read that a fatty liver could actually inhibit weight loss which would be terrible if I can't get it down. I take Metform and I think it actually helped keep other levels in my body down- are there any tried and true foods,supplments. etc that could help lower myALT?

If it's fatty liver the only thing that is going to work is healthy diet, avoiding all alcohol, and exercise. Since you are overweight, you should plan to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week. There are no supplements or medications for it. No magic. Just slow and steady.

Your doctor may want to send you to a registered dietitian to get you started on a healthy eating plan.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you know of an excellent books on the subject

There really aren't whole books devoted to fatty liver disease. Give me a minute and I will see if I can find some easy to read articles for you.

This is one of the best articles I've seen on the subject:

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/010614p48.shtml

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/nonalcoholic-fatty-liver-disease/basics/definition/con-20027761

http://www.healthline.com/health/fatty-liver#Overview1

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~