A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I am reading some lab results and see that my RDW is

Customer Question

Hi, i am reading some lab results and see that my RDW is slightly below range at 11.3 but my ABS Lymph is also low at .9. Should my dr. do follow up tests to determine why my ABS Lymph is low?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: i got a blood test because i often have anemia and require iv iron therapy. my iron levels are 'normal' but I'm wondering about the RDW and ABS Lymph.
JA: In general, how has your health been lately? How long have you been dealing with the issue?
Customer: i've been more tired than normal lately, which is why i thought i had anemia again.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 months ago.

Abs lymphocytes is the total count of lymphocytes. Lymphocytes are one of the types of white blood cells. The others are neutrophils, basophils, eosinophils, monocytes and macrophages. Normally lymphocytes are about 1.3 to 4.0. What is considered "normal" varies a bit from lab to lab depending on what equipment they use. Whatever is considered as "normal" in your lab should be reported as the "reference range." Viral infections and poor nutrition are the most common reasons for a low count. Depending on how often this shows up and your overall clinical picture, you doctor may want to order another test to determine which types of lymphocytes (T-cells, B-cells, natural killer cells) are low. That would give the reason.

RDW is red cell distribution width. It is used along with other parts of the blood test, particular MCV to determine the cause of anemia. It's already known that you have anemia so this isn't anything to be concerned about.

Kind regards,