Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine

I began to see negative afterimage since 2 weeks : I was to

Customer Question

Hi Doctor
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I began to see negative afterimage since 2 weeks
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I was to eye OCT scan
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: my vision is 20/20
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now a negative after image is a part of normal vision in many individuals. these can occur after focusing on a bright light for a period of time and can last for 2-3 seconds afterwards. This can also occur when you change from a dark to extremely bright environment. It can also occur if you have had surgery like cataract surgery etc. Now it is very rarely a sign of serious eye disease and since you have had the OCT test done that indicates that major issues are unlikely.

Now there are diseases which can cause increased appearance of negative afterimages, for example this can occur in autoiimmune retinopathy. This is a condition in which the body targets it own retina with antibodies however that too should show up on the OCT test because the OCT looks directly at the retina to rule out any retinopathies. However it would still be wise to get this evaluated by visiting an opthalmologist. He can do a fundoscopy in his office to look for any changes and then proceed for further testing if necessary.

But in almost 95% of the cases, presence of negative afterimages are normal but if these are persistent, as they are in your case then an eye exam is necessary. You can talk to your opthalmologist about autoimmune retinopathy among other things.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,