Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

How can I tell if I have torn ligaments or tendons : 48

Customer Question

how can I tell if I have torn ligaments or tendons
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: 48 HOurs back I was sitting on a chair and it tipped. My left arm supported my body weight of 250 lbs and prevented me from falling. The arm started hurting 24 hours back
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: I dont know what make it worse or better. Its there. I dont feel it all the time
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I will be going on vacation on June 22
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Torn ligament or tendon will cause lot of swelling and also bruises around the area.

This is due to the leakage of the blood from the damaged tendon or blood vessels.

You will also have difficulty to use the arm normally--you will not be able to lift it up or hold something for example.

Muscle sprain is more likely explanation if you do not have any of the above symptoms.

Lot of icing, Ibuprofen 800 mg 3 times daily with food, rest, and splinting will help with recovery in 10 days.

You should see your doctor also for clinical evaluation.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile: