Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

Van Niekerk. I am the chairperson care group of volunteers

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, My name is ***** ***** Niekerk. I am the chairperson for a care group of volunteers rendering a basic homecare service for the aged. We have taken on a lady with Parkinson's. She is using Pexola .25mg 3x per day together with levodopa. I would like to know if she can continue with both drugs and what the side effects are. Only met her yesterday, staying alone and in my opinion overdosing herself with medication. Awaiting your response. thanks.
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: She is a typical PD patient with clear evidence of dyskinesia. Still very alert but very depressed which I think is understandable. I just want to understand her drug therapy better.
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: hi I am not the patient.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.

Both Pexola and levodopa are used in parkison's disease.

We often prefer combination of 2-3 medicines instead of increasing the dose of one medicine.

Pexola was prescribed at minimum effective dose.

So doctor has prescribed both to reduce the side effect of higher dose of one medicine.

I hope this information helps.

If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.

If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.

Regards.