Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I go to the toilet up to 6 X a day and desperate to go each

Customer Question

I go to the toilet up to 6 X a day and desperate to go each time, mornings worse
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: First motion as soon as I wake up then 10 mins later, then half hour later and so on
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: Fit and healthy, smoke
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Your symptoms are suggestive of intestinal motility disorder. One of the commonest is called as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Following investigations may be considered (if not done);

1) The complete blood count (CBC); altered in irritable bowel disease (in whom leukocytosis / high WBC count is the more frequent result).

2) Protein electrophoresis pattern may show alterations of both albumin and globulins (especially alpha-1 and gamma globulins) in IBS.

3) Thyroid function tests; a high thyroid may cause loose and frequent bowel motions.

4) A barium meal is a helpful study in the diagnosis of intestinal motility disorders.

5) Computed tomography (CT) and nuclear magnetic resonance examinations are also necessary.

6) Defecography

7) Scintigraphic study of the small bowel or colonic transit time is currently most preferred investigation for your symptoms. It shows the intestinal progression of the meal.

8) Stool exam

9) Stool culture

Medications like neostigmine, bethanechol, metoclopramide, cisapride, and loperamide may help you.

Following measures collectively may help;

1) Fiber supplementation may improve motion frequency. Citrucel and FiberCon may produce less flatulence than psyllium compounds (Metamucil).

2) Caffeine avoidance may limit exacerbation.

3) Lactose and/or fructose should also be limited or avoided.

4) Lomotil and the other medications we discussed above. All of these are prescription medications.

A recommended diet resource for IBS;

Diet resource for the elimination of the diet when there are concomitant and associated food allergies;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.