Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have a Human Trans. Growth Factor Beta 1 that is over

Customer Question

I have a Human Trans. Growth Factor Beta 1 that is over 33000 (I'm told the normal range is 0 to 2300). What does this mean? I'm in pain most of the time and have been diagnosed with lupus and aps, though I'm not sure that's accurate.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I've been living with pain for 6 years.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: how does this work exactly?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

The Human Trans. Growth Factor Beta 1 is a inflammatory marker and can be raised in many medical issue. It does not point to to a specific diagnosis and can be raised in following;

1) EBV infection

2) Immunological disorders like rheumatoid, lupus

3) Hormonal disorders.

You should get an immune profile done if not performed by your doctor. If all are normal, your symptoms can be either fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Could it be Camurati Engelmann disease? I have long legs, a small bony protrusion under one knee, and I was told my a sports medicine doc that my ankles looked under MRI/xrays that i was a base jumper or had jumped off a high place. Im' not an athlete and I've never broken a bone in my legs.

I am sorry for the delay in answering your question. I had to do an emergency surgery so could not reply you earlier. I apologize for your waiting.

The TGFB1 gene provides instructions for producing a protein called transforming growth factor beta-1 (TGFβ-1). The TGFβ-1 protein is found throughout the body and plays a role in development before birth, the formation of blood vessels, the regulation of muscle tissue and body fat development, wound healing, and immune system function. So a raised Human Trans. Growth Factor Beta 1 may suspect of Camurati Engelmann disease. But the bony changes you had described are not typical of it. So I would look for immunological diseases, which are many times, not easy to diagnose. You may get a blood work for creatinine kinase too apart from immune markers. Meanwhile following may help you in the pain;

1) Aerobic exercise; low-impact aerobics, walking, water aerobics, stationary bicycle.

2) Heat, massage, and other treatments like sauna, hot baths and showers, hot mud, and massage.

3) Trigger-point injections,

4) Acupuncture,

5) Chiropractic manipulation,

6) Myofascial release

7) Neural pulse stimulation (CNP) device

8) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT)

9) Relaxation training and biofeedback

10) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and acetaminophen

11) Opioid analgesics (hydrocodone, oxycodone, fentanyl, morphine),

12) Anxiolytics/hypnotics

13) Estrogen receptor modulator raloxifene

14) St. John's wort, ginseng, valerian, botanical oil, melatonin, magnesium, dehydroepiandrosterone.

It is privilege assisting you.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.