Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My husband has been diagnosed with gout and is on day 2 of

Customer Question

My husband has been diagnosed with gout and is on day 2 of taking the methylprednisolone 4 mg dose park. Can he take Tylenol to help relieve pain?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: The pain started last Friday and he went to the doctor on Monday. He started taking the Me
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: Started taking the medication yesterday. The ankle was less swollen this morning, but has gotten more swollen and painful during the day. He was seated at work and in street shoes most of the day. Elevating the ankle is uncomfortable due to pressure on the heel/ankle. He has ice pack on it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Yes, he can take Tylenol.

Following measures will prevent the further attack (if he is not already taking these precautions) ;

1) Avoid alcohol and sweetened drinks, preserved fruit juices

2) Plenty of liquids and water

3) Avoid Organ meats, poultry, sea-food

4) Pulses and lentils also should be avoided

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Two classes of drugs are available for use as urate-lowering agents. The first is xanthine oxidase inhibitors, which block metabolic steps in the synthetic pathway of uric acid. Drugs are allopurinol and febuxostat. The other class of drugs are uricosurics, such as probenecid, which act to increase renal (kidney) uric acid secretion. Other uricosurics medicines are sulfinpyrazone and benzbromarone.

Colchicine is also taken for the acute attack, apart from steroids which your husband is taking.

In addition to the standard agents other drugs have been found to have salutary effects on serum uric acid. Vitamin C has shown to have a mild urate-lowering effect at a dose of 500 mg daily. Fenofibrate, losartan or amlodipine have been demonstrated to have mild uricosuric effects.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.