A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My husband had a TB skin test on Saturday and has had a

Customer Question

My husband had a TB skin test on Saturday and has had a fever ever since. Tylenol has worked until tonight. 103 degree fever just now
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 11 months ago.

If he is having a high fever that doesn't respond to Tylenol, he should see his doctor. The TB test isn't a live virus so there is no way that the infection he is having is TB. Rare side effects of a tuberculin skin test are swelling and redness of the arm. He may have either a viral or a bacterial infection that happened to show symptoms at that time.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do we go to the ER or wait to see them in the morning? His temp is 103

He can go to the ER or a walk in clinic since his fever isn't responding to Tylenol. He probably will needs some IV fluids.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can we wait until tomorrow? How emergent is this?

The danger is if the fever gets totally out of control. With adults a fever of 103 is pretty high. If you can keep it under that with Tylenol, lots of fluid intake (broth or Gatorade rather than just plain water), and perhaps sponging him off with lukewarm water, he should be fine until morning if he is basically healthy. If he has a lot of health issues, he should go to the ER tonight.