A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I have weird pain on the right side of my chest almost

Customer Question

I have weird pain on the right side of my chest almost behind the nipple for three weeks now and it's not even that painful, just very dull and annoying. The only time I feel the pain is when I drink cold liquids or burp, but only after they pass that part of my chest. For example when I chug a glass of water I won't feel the pain until after all of the water has passed the center of my chest; same with burping. I have no other symptoms at all. Esophageal spasm might be the cause but the pain literally only lasts for a about a second. I've heard GERD or an ulcer might be the cause but I have no stomach issues. Like last night I had pizza and beer for dinner and didn't have excessive burping, indigestion, regurgitation, etc etc. Is it even related to throat or could it be a muscular problem?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 months ago.

It could be muscular. Since it's behind the nipple, it is out of the anatomical area that contains the esophagus or the stomach. The area of your nipple is also the area that contains the pectoralis major and minor muscles. That makes it most likely to be a muscle rather than anything else.

Kind regards,