Janne Nissinen
Janne Nissinen,
Experience:  Neurology Fellow at University of California San Diego

Can hyperventilating cause your face to feel strange?

Customer Question

Can hyperventilating cause your face to feel strange? Anxiety?
JA: My face is quite broad and symmetrical and my eyes are far apart - that's supposed to mean I'm beautiful I think. People say I have great cheekbones. How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: Relaxing helps somewhat
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I feel flushed but no redness and not really tingling just strange
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Janne Nissinen replied 4 months ago.

I’m Dr. Janne Nissinen, a board certified neurologist.

Please note that this is an information request and does not substitute an in person visit to a physician or an official diagnostic process. The advice given here is for information purposes only. Please give me a moment to read your question and type an answer.

Hyperventilation can cause a multitude of different sensation throughout your body. One of the most common sensations reported is tingling which can occur in the hands, feet, face, lips or even throughout the body. Other sensation that are often reported is the feeling of passing out. The symptoms are not dangerous and resolve once hyperventilation resolves.

Thank you for allowing me to participate in your medical care.

If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. Thank you for using our site. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction please remember to leave positive feedback.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Janne Nissinen, MD