Andrea Tavlan
Andrea Tavlan, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  General Pediatrician (MD) at Children's Medical Associates

If it were a virus would i have vomited already also? I have

Customer Question

If it were a virus would i have vomited already also? I have no other symptoms. Just very high anxiety.
Category: Health
Expert:  Andrea Tavlan replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. This is Dr. Tavlan.

What are the symptoms that have led you to be concerned? Besides the anxiety? Do you have nausea, belly pain, or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had diarrhea after eating last night and mild upset yet today. I also have my period. I was told it's not food poisoning. And it's been 24 hours since the diairhea. Just loose stool. Did I just eat something bad? And is the worst over?

Hi again,

"Food poisoning" is a really vague term that can mean any sort of infection you got from eating contaminated food. It doesn't necessarily mean vomiting; a lot of people get just vomiting, just diarrhea, or both depending on the germ that was in the food and their own system's reaction. Your symptoms could be from a mild "food poisoning" bug or from a virus you got from another person, but either way it sounds like you are doing OK. If your diarrhea was brief and you haven't had any for 24 hours, the worst is likely over. (In general, diarrhea from viruses or foodborne illnesses can last anywhere from hours to days - bad things like salmonella can last weeks). Stomach upset can linger for a day or two after having an illness like this (and having your period can speed up your intestinal system, so it might be adding to things a little). I would be really, really surprised if you had any vomiting at this point, since it tends to come first rather than second. I'd say to just eat foods that are easy on your system until your stomach feels back to normal.

If you found this answer helpful, please leave me a rating. If you need more information, feel free to leave me a follow-up question.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have heartburn and I'm terrified it will make me throw up. Will I throw up from heartburn?

People do not generally throw up from heartburn (acid reflux). If you've had heartburn before and not had vomiting with it, there is no reason to think it will happen now. If you have chronic heartburn, however, you may want to discuss it with your doctor. Some people take daily medication for heartburn if needed.

As an aside, it does sound like you are very afraid of throwing up in general. This is not an uncommon fear for people to have and sometimes it can cause a very large amount of anxiety or lead to people avoiding public places or things they would otherwise like to do. If you think this is the case for you, you might want to consider talking to a counselor about doing some desensitization exercises to slowly reduce the anxiety over time.