Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Thanks. Just trying to determine exactly what a non-FDG or

Customer Question

Thanks. Just trying to determine exactly what a non-FDG or mildly FDG avid lymph node is telling me.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: Patient has angiosarcoma, lower extremity. "Prominent non-FDG avid retroperitoneal lymphadenopathy, likely reactive." "Prominent, mildly FDG avid left inguinal lymph nodes are indeterminate and may be reactive secondary to venous stasis in the left lower extremity. However, neoplastic involvement is not excluded." Does that help?
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

The PET scan shows that inguinal lymph nodes are slightly enlarged but they are not taking high amount of glucose (non FDG). Thus these lymph node enlargement is not likely to be due to spread of angiosarcoma. Cancerous lymph nodes are FDG positive. The lymph nodes are most likely due to stagnation of blood (venous incompetence or venous stasis) in the veins. The doctor may take a biopsy of the lymph node to further reconfirm and substantiate that cancer spread is not in the lymph nodes.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.