Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I have a sinus infection but no insurance and I have my a

Customer Question

I have a sinus infection but no insurance and I have my a Septra liquid that was prescribed to my son on 5/18/16 BUT he couldn't take it because it tasted so BAD!!LOL! The expiration date on it is 5/18/17....but I know suspensions are usually only good for 2 weeks :/ Is it safe for me to take it, as in it is not spoiled being a suspension antibiotic?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: No, nothing like that....I can feel it on the right side of my face and I blew my nose and while I didn't really have anything come out my face/cheek/gums all felt like I was punched! And before you ask there is no way I have an abscessed tooth because I have dentures :)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I DID have a sinus infection/upper respitory nfection a few in weeks ago and I finished all the antibiotics at the time but I don't think my sinus got all the way clear because of the sudden pain I am experiencing :)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question.
I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.

How old are you?

Do you have any other symptom besides pain?

Did you take any other medicine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am 52, and the only other symptoms are just feeling drained, but I contributed that to the terrible weather we've been having!! LOL! I do have asthma and am on a nebulizer as needed and a rescue inhaler BUT I've been on hose for over 20 years!
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for all the information,
As the suspension has expired, I would advise not to take it.
This would not be as effective as it should be.
Sinus infection may recur.
However, the antibiotic would need to be selected according to the suspected bacteria.
In viral infection antibiotic will not be required.
You can feel drained with viral infection.
As you do not have any other symptom, you can try Tylenol or Advil cold.
If you do not feel any improvement, I would suggest to take an examination by doctor.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Basically I just want to know if the Septra suspension is still ok as it hasn't been refrigerated and suspension medicine usually has to be discarded after 2 weeks.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 months ago.

I just answered.

I hope you have got it.