A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My stomach is hard at the top under my ribs all the way down

Customer Question

My stomach is hard at the top under my ribs all the way down to my belly button in the middle of my body. If I press on it in any way bending over ect. then it bothers me and I get a pain under my belly button from time to time. And I have been constipated for awhile now. Going to the bathroom once every 3 or 4 days. I have been diagnosed with hypoparathyroidism and I'm on calcium pills. What could possibly be wrong with my stomach? Please help
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 months ago.

The most likely cause of the hardness and pressure is the fact that you have problems with constipation. Calcium can cause constipation. It will help if you increase both your fiber and fluid intake. Fiber supplements like Benefiber or Metamucil can also help. Eating lots of salads and green vegetables, along with whole grains will help to avoid constipation.

Please reply if you have additional questions about this.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
you don't see an intestinal or colon issue? And constipation would make my belly button hurt from time to time?

Without an examination it isn't possible to say for sure what the problem is. However, constipation is a very common cause of hardness and pressure. An umbilical hernia is another possibility, but you would need an examination to diagnose that as well.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do you think I need to make an appt with my Dr as soon as possible to have it checked out? Do you think it is that serious?

No, I don't think it's anything serious. You should see your doctor anytime in the next month.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~