Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I have a sunburn on my back and shoulders that is itching

Customer Question

i have a sunburn on my back and shoulders that is itching bad and it is driving me crazy. I cant use anything that rubs in as I live alone. I tried sprays with Benzocaine and Lidocaine-no help.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 4 months ago.

You might get a towel and moisten it --- lather a sunburn lotion with allow on the mid section and rub this along your back in back and forth motion...

Topical products with benadryl or those you have mentioned may be helpful --- trying to help you to possibly negotiate self application to your back...

Otherwise take oral Benadryl 25mg to 50 mg every 6 hours as you need and this should help reduce itching ....

A cool water shower may be a bit soothing as well...

I hope that these ideas are helpful for you...

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns or discussion...

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been taking Benadryl also. I have taken (8) 25mg tabs today. cool shower is only good until you get out then it gets worse. tried that last night

Hello again,

I see... I would then recommend try the moist towel trick with mix of Lidocaine plus an aloe rich sunburn gel... Place this to middle of war towel and use hands to rub the lotion/ lidocaine soaked towel back and forth over sensitive area of back...

I hope that this is helpful for you..

Let me know if I may be of further help

Best regards ***** *****

Anthony Bray MD